NAC Blog: The 2-minute Latino homeownership narrative
Celebrating NAHREP familia, cultura, politics, and grassroots action
June 3, 2021
Qué onda mi gente?!
I have a challenge for all of you: Let’s show the country how powerful our network actually is.
We put a lot of work into our State of Hispanic Homeownership Report. It’s how we measure progress, how we get the country to see the power of investing in the Latino community, and it is also the way we change the narrative about Latinos in the U.S. Latinos are the engine behind the housing market and therefore, behind the U.S. economy. It is time more people realized that.
While not everyone will take the time to read a report, our newly released State of Hispanic Homeownership Report film captures the essence of the report in 2 minutes. Here’s how you can be a part of the movement, and how you can help change our narrative.
Join the movement: Share the 2-minute Latino homeownership narrative
- Share the link on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, or LinkedIn.
- Shortened link: http://bit.ly/SHHRFILM
- Tag elected officials, business partners, NAHREP members, clients, and friends outside of NAHREP.
- Include one of our key eye-popping data points as part of the post:
- Over the next 20 years, 70% of new homeowners are projected to be Latino.
- There are 8.3 million Latinos under 45 years old in the United States who are considered “mortgage ready” – have the credit characteristics to qualify for a loan but don’t currently hold a mortgage.
- Latino homeowners have 40 times the wealth of Latino renters.
- With a median age 29.8, one in three Latinos is in their prime home buying years.
- Send personal emails to your network.
The National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals (NAHREP) just came out with 2-minute film highlighting the unbelievable role Latinos are playing in propping up the U.S. housing market. I thought you might enjoy this.
- As part of your National Advocacy Committee efforts, send an email to the office of your local city council member or state representative. Google the number for your representative’s office and ask for the email of the person who deals with housing. Send them an email and share the video and the report.
Dear [ ],
As your constituent and as a member of the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals (NAHREP) we want to urge you to do more when it comes to solving our housing inventory crisis. Latinos are projected to account for 70% of new homeowners over the next 20 years. However, we need to build enough housing to account for the growing demand for housing.
Here is a quick 2-minute film highlighting the unbelievable role Latinos play in the housing market.
Attached is our newly released State of Hispanic Homeownership Report which also highlights our policy priorities and eye-popping data such as the fact that Latino homeowners have 40 times the wealth as Latino renters, underscoring the incredible role homeownership plays in building wealth for communities of color.
Please count on NAHREP as a partner to help find solutions to our community housing needs.
Let’s show the country who we are and how powerful we can be! Be a part of the movement and let’s make this go viral.
About Noerena Limón
Noerena Limón is NAHREP’s Senior Vice President of Public Policy and Industry Relations. Noerena heads the organization’s policy and advocacy efforts on issues ranging from homeownership, housing inventory, credit access and immigration.
Prior to joining NAHREP, Noerena spent six years at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and served as a political appointee under President Obama in the White House Office of Political Affairs.