NAHREP National Homeownership & Wealth Building Conference Convenes in Washington, D.C. March 13‐15
Top government officials and industry CEOs discuss housing policy, consumer trends, and real estate performance involving U.S. Hispanic market
SAN DIEGO— March 13, 2023 — Today, The National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals® (NAHREP®) opens the 2023 Homeownership & Wealth Building Conference sponsored by Chase, at the Ritz-Carlton in Washington, D.C.
Top government and financial sector leaders will deliver comments and participate in discussions, including:
- Secretary Marcia L. Fudge, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Julia Gordon, Assistant Secretary for Housing and Federal Housing Commissioner, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Mark Madrid, Associate Administrator for the Office of Entrepreneurial Development, U.S. Small Business Administration
- Janis Bowdler, Counselor to the Secretary (Racial Equity), U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Gary Acosta, Co-Founder & CEO, NAHREP
- Luis Padilla, 2022 NAHREP National President, PADILLA TEAM, RE/MAX Advance Realty
- Nuria Rivera, 2023 NAHREP President, CEO, Novation Title Insurance Agency
- Esther Aguilera, President, and CEO, Latino Corporate Directors Association (LCDA)
- Martin Cabrera Jr., CEO, Cabrera Capital
- Contessa Brewer, CNBC Correspondent
- Jon Baselice, VP, Immigration Policy, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Center
- Bob Goldberg, CEO, National Association of REALTORS®
- Sarah Wheeler, Editor in Chief, HousingWire
Program highlights include:
- Keynote with Secretary Marcia L. Fudge Secretary, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Secretary Marcia L. Fudge is the 18th Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Throughout her career, she has worked to help low-income families, seniors, and communities across the country. Secretary Marcia L. Fudge will kick off the conference by delivering a keynote to event attendees.
- Fireside Chat with FHA Commissioner Julia Gordon: Latino homebuyers rely on FHA financing to achieve homeownership at nearly twice the general market rate. FHA Commissioner Julia Gordon and NAHREP President Luis Padilla discuss the important role of the FHA, especially during volatile market conditions in ensuring that homeownership opportunities remain available for first-time homebuyers.
- Release of the 2022 State of Hispanic Homeownership Report: Experts from the business, non-profit, and policy sectors discuss the role of Hispanics in the U.S. housing market and the outlook for 2023 and beyond with CNBC Correspondent, Contessa Brewer.
- Association CEO Townhall: This panel will feature executives from the leading housing organizations in America including Gary Acosta, Co-Founder & CEO, NAHREP, Robert Broeksmit, CMB, President & CEO, MBA, Bob Goldberg, CEO, National Association of REALTORS®, and Gerald Howard, CEO, NAHB. Key topics of conversation will be discussions on interest rates, housing supply, access to credit, and the need for more diversity in the industry.
- Housing Affordability is a Barrier to Homeownership: The lack of housing affordability is the most significant barrier to homeownership growth, particularly for first-time home buyers. Increased mortgage interest rates, high inflation, and low housing inventory have pushed homeownership out of reach for many Latino families. This session will feature a panel of top economists who will help interpret the data and provide insights for 2023 and beyond.
- NAHREP Presidential Installation: A formal evening event celebrating the installation of 2023 NAHREP President Nuria Rivera. The event welcomes 2023 President-Elect Nora Aguirre and sends off outgoing President Luis Padilla. Featuring an award ceremony recognizing the Advocacy Chapter of the Year and Chapter of the Year.
- Installation of Incoming NAHREP Directors: Imelda Manzo, Jona Gamboa, and Pedro Rivera will join the 2023 NAHREP National Board of Directors.
- Panel Sessions and Workshops including:
- Lessons from the Great Recession: Structuring Your Business for the Current Market
- Win Big by Incorporating Wealth Building Principles into your Business Model
- Strategic Lending Products for a Purchase Market
- All Politics are Local: How to Get Involved at the Local Level
“The 2023 NAHREP Homeownership & Wealth Building Conference is a significant gathering of the top minds in housing policy and NAHREP’s informed network of real estate professionals,” said 2023 NAHREP President-elect Nuria Rivera. “They will discuss the importance of Hispanics to the future of the housing market and to our country. There are many challenges and opportunities in helping more Hispanics participate in homeownership and NAHREP is where these critical discussions take place.”
For more information about the 2023 NAHREP Homeownership & Wealth Building Conference, including registration information and a full agenda, visit https://nahrep.org/springconference/.
The National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals® (NAHREP®), a nonprofit 501(c)6 trade association, is dedicated to advancing sustainable homeownership for the Hispanic community in America. NAHREP has a network of over 40,000 real estate professionals and 100 local chapters nationwide, hosting several national events per year and publishing multiple industry cornerstone reports annually. Join us in advocating for policies that grow sustainable Latino homeownership, read our 2022 policy priorities here. Also, see the NAHREP Hispanic Homeownership by Congressional District Tool which measures Hispanic homeownership by U.S. congressional district, allowing constituents, advocates, policymakers, and lending and housing professionals to evaluate district performance at a glance. Watch the Hispanic Homeownership Short Film!